[Kroupware] HOWTO: amavisd-new, spam assassin, sophos

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Mon Jul 21 15:28:48 CEST 2003

Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> Jason A. Pattie wrote:
>
>> It is more efficient and safer than having the MTA delivering through
>> SMTP/LMTP, like amavisd does.  Mailscanner does not want to be an
>> MTA.  It reads a file, processes it, and only deletes it from the
>> incoming queue after it successfully writes it to the outgoing
>> queue.  This way it never loses an e-mail.  Since it is not involved
>> in the getting or sending of the e-mails, it cannot lose e-mail that
>> way, either.  It supports more MTAs than amavisd does.
>>
>> Setting up MailScanner is easier because you don't have to configure
>> the MTA to know about MailScanner.  You don't have to touch any
>> configuration files for your MTA to use MailScanner.  MailScanner
>> takes care of starting the instances it needs.  Also, you don't have
>> to reconfigure your delivery agent.  As long as you don't have your
>> MTA starting automatically, MailScanner takes care of properly
>> starting the incoming and outgoing MTA instances using command line
>> arguments to configure them.
>

> This sounds much more like how i want it done. Does the default
> MailScanner documentation work for the kolab postfix ?

I haven't set it up myself, but MailScanner supports postfix, so I don't
see why it wouldn't work.  After looking at the MailScanner Installation
Guide for Postfix, my only question is whether the version of postfix
for Kolab is setup to use a chroot jail?  Even though the MailScanner
instructions want it, I wonder if we can/should get away with not having
a chroot jail setup for postfix?

Everything else seems pretty straight forward.  You will probably end up
needing to modify the startup files/templates for postfix so it does not
blow away your configuration changes and to support launching two
instances of postfix (an incoming and outgoing instance).

I did not find any hits on the website or in the openpkg-users mailing
list for packages for MailScanner available for OpenPKG.

believed to be clean.