[Kroupware] OpenGroupware.org formed through SKYRiX open sourcing its Groupware server

Helge Hess helge.hess at skyrix.com
Sun Jul 13 02:03:44 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm on this list for quite some time and as I expressed before, SKYRiX
and now OGo, wants to work *with* Kolab, not against it. We appreciate
the work gone into Kolab.

We have some different opinions on how things should be done (eg using
IMAP as a calendering and contact storage), but we can share large
parts of the codebases.
OGo does not intend to "compete" against to Kolab.

On Donnerstag, 10. Juli 2003, at 16:07 Uhr, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> the Skyrix is being sold by SuSE afaik as OpenExchange, or am i
> totally mistaking here?

You are mistaken here. SuSE Email Server III contained SkyrixGreen,
which is a completely separate codebase from OGo.
OpenExchange uses a Java based web groupware (ComFire) which is closed
source and propritary.

> There is a ton of hype behind it but IMHO they have a few
> disadvantages.
> The big one being the huge database backend.  By using IMAP to store
> information and LDAP to store the config and accounts I think kolab
> has more
> flexability.

I'm not sure what you mean by "huge database backend". We just use
PostgreSQL or FrontBase which certainly isn't huge. Of course you can
use a large one like Oracle, but that certainly isn't necessary.

We at OGo find the Kolab approach interesting and would like to see how
it works out in practice. Our approach is certainly more traditional
but is proven to be working for years.

> agreed, and they have the bigger databases non-opened, so that might
> be a big catch..

I guess with "bigger databases" you are referring to Oracle and Sybase.
Of course those are provided as open source as well, just not part of
the OGo project.

best regards,
   Helge
--