[Kroupware] beta2Hello,

Tassilo Erlewein kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:43:28 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2003 12:49 schrieb Andreas Kretschmer:

> There are many packages on the download site. Need I all? There are only
> *.rpm, for instance binutils. Can i make a 'apt-get update' after
> installation of KOLAB?

You need to fully bootstrap openpkg on your machine.
having the binutils from Debian is not sufficient, I afraid.
See the Quick Installation Manual.

Kolab is not available in distribution specific packages.
so apt-get, yast, whatever will not work.

> Was passiert mit den ganzen Dingen, die Debian schon mitbringt, oder
> anders gefragt, wie sollte ich Debian installieren, was brauche ich
> alles, was nicht? Was passiert mit Abh=E4ngigkeitskonflikten, was bei
> einem sp=E4teren Update von Debian / KOLAB?

You may want to check the documentation of OpenPKG at
http://www.openpkg.org

kolab/openpkg depends on a mimimal system environment, including
the glibc. If you update the underlying system, you break that dependency.
In principle you then have to re-install openpkg and kolab.
In practice, minor version updates may go through ... it depends.

=46YI, OpenPKG we have chosen for various reasons:
=2D rpm package format which we personally know better that deb
=2D in principle platform independent (Solaris, FreeBSD, etc.)
=2D runs on debian, suse, and redhat
=2D we can not afford to build several package versions for different linux
  distributions, we think; at least not at this time
=2D not regular linux distribution provides the latest stuff which we so
  heavily depend on - that will of course change=20

A Kolab update procedure is not implemented at all. At this time
you have to backup your config manually and merge it into the
newly installed beta manually. See the Quick Installation Manual;
we have added a little section about that topic.

> Ich w=FCrde das schon alles ganz gerne mal testen, nicht zuletzt, weil der
> Ruf nach Exchange schon durch die geschlossene T=FCr zu vernehmen ist.
> Aber ich will da auch nicht direkt mich aufs Glatteis begeben.

You only need a minimal underlying system. Debian or SuSE work fine for us.
Installing on a otherwise used server should be ok, as openpkg is minimal=20
invasive to the underlying system (one init.d startup script, you can later=
=20
remove that, if you like; syslog is however used, but that should be=20
welcomed).

> Mir reicht es eigentlich, only als Server es zu konfigurieren, X
> brauche ich nicht wirklich auf der Kiste. Das als Anmerkung.

Kolab and/or OpenPKG do not depend on X. Leave it away if you like.

Tassilo