[Kroupware] How to handle large distribution lists

Kervin L. Pierre kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:43:30 -0500

konold@erfrakon.de wrote:
> Actually it is the other way around. Exchange uses references while
> traditionally SMTP mail servers use copies.

Strictly speaking, the SMTP server does not store the mail at all, it's
usually just the MTA ( mail transport agent ).

This issue is an MDA ( mail delivery agent; or something ) issue, I
think.  So it's going to be up to your IMAP or POP server to figure out
whether this optimization is worth the trouble.

Some IMAP servers do support this.  I think it's sometimes called
'single store messages' or something like that.  Cyrus IMAP, supports
this I believe.

Kervin Pierre

kervin@blueprint-tech.com
kervin@kervin.net