[Kroupware] How to handle large distribution lists

konold@erfrakon.de kroupware@mail.kde.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:50:57 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Kim Lester wrote:

Hi Kim,

> Systems like M$ exchange seem very poor at handling mail sent to large nu=
mbers
> of recipients within a "mail domain" - eg within a company.
> Exchange appears to explode the email into individual messages, which can=
 behorrendous
> as formal notesare often largedocuments maybe with graphics (never one-li=
ne URLs)

Actually it is the other way around. Exchange uses references while
traditionally SMTP mail servers use copies.

> How does Kolab seek to address this problem. My simplistic solution is "s=
ymlinks"

Kolab goes the traditional SMTP way.

> so those who want to download the message can (and no doubt get an indivi=
dual copy)
> but at least it doesn't blow out on the server.

I extremely doubt your assumption!
There are two issues.

=091. Load on server(s) when delivering mail
=092. User visible latency when retrieving the mail

The simple SMTP approach causes load when the mail is delivered. The
exchange approach causes laod when the mail is retrieved by the user. The
later is much worse for user experience than the former.

MAny years ago disk space was a great concern. I dont think this is valid
anymore today.

> As an alternative, maybe mass posts should be forced to use an automagic =
web based
> "notice board" concept where the email is automatically placed on a web a=
ccessible
> noticeboard and a onel line URL is emailed instead.

This might be an alternativ for large attachments or so under special
cirumstances.

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstra=DFe 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
mobil: 0175 4148693
fax: 0175 13 4148693
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de