[kroupware] About mozilla calendar ...

Bo Thorsen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:12:21 +0100

On Monday 20 January 2003 09:01, Manuel Hoppe wrote:
> Marc Mutz wrote:
> [...]
>
> > (2) is where a KDE Client is currently required. If you set up a new
> > infrastructure without Outlook clients, you can use almost all
> > clients directly. The only gotcha is that all account-specific data
> > (addressbooks, calendar data, ...) is stored as attachments in IMAP
> > folders.
>
> Sounds good, I miss such a clear answer in the FAQ section.
>
> So if I understand the legacy free mode correctly, it just needs a
> clients that formats the offered data correcty (eg make a calendar out
> of IMAP mails and attachments) depending on existing protocols (mostly
> already implemented in email clients).

Actually you only need this if you want to read the same calendar from=20
more than one client or if you want to use the roaming capability this=20
gives you. If you just want to use local storage of the calendar, you=20
don't have to care about this. All group scheduling happens in the=20
clients.

> Is there any existing project that implement this on Mozilla or a
> cooperation with the calendar team at Mozilla? They need a freely
> available server, because this Project depend on the iCal standard
> which is only implemented for servers by commercial software.

They know about kolab, but Mozilla historically moves to new technologies=20
quite slowly (my impression, no flame intended). I also think they are=20
wise not to jump at the chance every time someone claims they have a=20
working groupware solution. That kolab works should by now be reasonably=20
established, so hopefully they'll pick it up.

> Did someone ask them?

Not yet, I think. But it's probably a good idea to do so.

Bo.

=2D-=20

     Klar=E4lvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark