[Kroupware] Kolab server vs. Insight server

Nicolas Huillard kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:25:26 +0100

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Saturday 22 February 2003 00:41, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
>
>>Having just read information about the www.bynari.com 's Insight server,
>>I'm astonished about the similarities between this and Kolab : same free
>>software base (cyrus, openldap, apache, etc.), same project deadlines, etc.
>

> Where did you read about project dealines?

I just heard about both projects at the similar time, and they've reach
quite the same state in similar time too (in my understanding, which
seems to be wrong).

> AFAIK the Insight server has been there before the Kroupware Project.

After having researched a bit, it seems to be the case, you're perfectly
right.

> It just was not fully Free Software.
>

>>Did they just "steal" your work ?
>
> I'm not aware of this.

I know think that similar constraints (using free server software for
quality and efficiency, connect to Outlook, etc.) lead to (quite) the
same result : Cyrus + Postfix + etc... (I thought someone would say that
free software is just about giving : nobody can steal Kolab because it
is free, and Kolab don't have to steal anything from insight because it
is based on free software)

Thanks to all about the work. Thanks to the mailing list support too.

NH