[Kroupware] Encryption certificate

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Dec 16 12:14:12 CET 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 13:03, anders.gortz at heatex.com wrote:
> I've been using Kolab now for a while and I'm getting a little annoyed with
> the question I get when I start my emailclient or log in to the horde
> webclient. The question is if I can use the certificate that the server
> provides. How can I make it go away without taking away the encryption?

In KDE you can usually accept this self signed certificate
and then you don't get asked again.
The same it true for many webclients, like Konqueror, Mozilla or Firebird.

> Must I use a Verisigncertificate or alike or can I set up somekind of CA
> myself?

Both is a possibility if you want to get rid of this questions for more users.
Kolab only creates a self signed certificate, thus nobody
but your server itself certifies this certificate. That is why the question
is asked. If the webbrowser or system already includes a root certificate
and you get a certificate from it, this can be trusted a lot easier.

The mod_ssl documentation might help you with further questions.