[Kroupware] System MTA and Kolab (Was: Re: setting up and checking basic Kolab functionality post obmtool)

Thomas Lotterer thl at dev.de.cw.com
Wed Dec 3 22:04:54 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003, Marc Schumann wrote:

> Now everything seems to go ( I don't know why, really not...) but
> jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepie.
>
> Now i have two questions:

My 2c for the first.

> how can my normal systemmail like errormessages for root being sent to its
> recipients. I tested it with capisuite. I have a systemuser named admin.
> Capisuite sennds the faxes and voices as attechment to the users admin
> systemmailbox.

I can think of multiple solutions. It depends at which point in the
transmission you gain control. Is capisuite calling /bin/sendmail? Then
try replacing it with a small wrapper script or have look at SSMTP.
Is capisuite talking SMTP? Then find out whether you can configure IP
and/or Port of the destination MTA. Maybe you can run both, system and
Kolab, simultaneously.

> For Kolab i have to kill my 'old' postfix because there can't
> be both postfixes at Port 25.

The number of postfix services on your system is only limited by system
resources like memory, cpu horsepower, disk space etc. Just make sure
every postfix service has a unique IP/Port combination. Sometimes it's
enough to use a different port, but this requires the sender is under
your control and allows the port to be configured. Sometimes you need
another IP. I've seen systems with hundrets number of IPs bound to a
single interface and a dozend MTAs services up and running. There is no
need to rip off the system MTA just to make an additional one working.
We are not talking single-user single-task DOS anymore ;-)

> Thats OK. But kolab dont deliver my Systemmail.
> What can I do ?
> I tried as a workaround in /kolab/etc/aliases with /kolab/sbin/newaliases
> to send the mail to a kolab user, but that worked.

If you start to fiddle around in configs under Kolab conrol please
understand that Kolab will recreate and overwrite them on the next
configuration change. So edit the templates. Shouldn't be too hard to
find below /kolab.

--
Thomas.Lotterer at cw.com, Cable & Wireless