[Kroupware] cyrus part of kolab wont start properly, lmtpd not running, so no mail is delivered

jon707 at kollegiegaarden.dk jon707 at kollegiegaarden.dk
Tue Dec 2 17:03:59 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 02:11:39AM +0100, Martin Konold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > arround and searching on google i found the problem to be with the cyrus
>
> > For some reason cyrus does _NOT_ write anything into
> > /kolab/var/imapd/log
>
> Our test server indeed writes into several files in the directory
> /kolab/var/imapd/log/

mail:/kolab/var/imapd/log# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-x---    2 kolab    kolab        4096 Dec  1 23:34 .
drwxr-x---   11 kolab    kolab        4096 Dec  2 15:35 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  1 23:34 master.log

No writtings in my case :(

> > Dec 02 00:07:26 mail <error> master[31525]: setrlimit: Unable to set file
> > descriptors limit to -1: (1) Operation not permitted
>
> >-- This error here is because i'm running the kolab package inside a
> > vserver. Actualy it is just the new capability system in the linux kernel
> > that does not permit this process to change the file descriptor limit
>
> Is it possible to increase the ressource limits withing vserver?

yes, i can even give it the capability to do it itself, but...
vserver is an advanced jail for added security

> > Dec 02 00:07:26 mail <debug> master[31526]: set maximum file descriptors to
> > 256/256
>
> > ctl_cyrusdb: unable to init environment
> > fatal error: can't read mailboxes file
>
> I assume that 256 filedescriptors is too low.

okay, i will try to raise it then.

> > Dec 02 00:07:26 mail <debug> master[31525]: process 31527 exited, status 1
> > ctl_cyrusdb: unable to init environment
> > ctl_deliver: unable to init duplicate delivery database
>
> > I'm not sure if i should ask here or on some cyrus mailing list, but i'm
> > not sure that they are familiar with the kolab setup, and i did use the
> > kolab packages
>
> I have the impression that maybe your problems are more related to your
> vserver setup than to cyrus or kolab.

Maybe, i will try to raise it and see what happens.

I just raised it to 65536 and that did not help
Dec 02 15:46:11 mail <error> master[2062]: retrying with 65536 (current max)
Dec 02 15:46:11 mail <notice> master[2062]: process started
Dec 02 15:46:11 mail <debug> master[2063]: about to exec
/kolab/bin/ctl_cyrusdb
ctl_cyrusdb: unable to init environment
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file

i will try with adding capabilities to the system - still no luck
even after i did this S_CAPS="CAP_SYS_RESOURCE"
it still does not work.
I also tried to give it unlimited file numbers.
ulimit -HS -n unlimited

That does not work either. I even tried on a real linux server, and on my
desktop. NEITHER is allowed to change the file number to an unlimited
number.

After this i copied my kolab setup to the real server, not running in some
vserver jail. Still no luck, infact it said the same things as inside a
vserver jail.

Since the packages i got was binary packages, i will now delete it all, and
compile my packages myself.

JonB