[Kroupware] Kolab in FreeBSD, web administrator doesn't work

Bill Swingle unfurl at nextrials.com
Mon Aug 18 14:08:41 CEST 2003

You've basicly summed up my entire experience with Kolab on FreeBSD
4.8-STABLE. (Though I just disabled the groupfile hack instead of fixing
it)

The LDAP server appears to be running but I don't know enough about LDAP
to test that it's doing what it's supposed to do. I suspect that the
problem lies with the LDAP server or how the rest of the bits talk to
it.

I'd gladly give an account to a Kolab developer that wanted to take a
look at this first hand. Having kolab run on freebsd would be truly
amazing and would garner the project a lot more users. (And I would be
able to ditch our plans to use Openexchange!)

Details, advice, or just plain help would be appreciated from anyone who
has any to offer :)

-Bill

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:32:41PM +0200, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run Kolab Server in FreeBSD 5.1. This is a short report of what
> I had to do to get it running - it still doesn't work though.
>
> First, I had to patch the cyrus-imapd groupfile hack, because it used
> fgetgrent(), a function unavailable in BSD libc. An OS-independent
> replacement can be found in the ProFTPd sources (lib/pwgrent.c). Otherwise,
> the installation went smoothly.
>
> When configuring, the bootstrap script runs 'hostname -f'. The '-f' switch
> does not exist in BSD hostname. 'hostname' without arguments returns the
> FQDN. The script asked for the FQDN instead, so I just typed it in. The rest
> of the configuration seemed to go smoothly too.
>
> I then proceeded to start Kolab with the rc.kolab script. This gave me a lot
> of error messages about 'chown root.root' (correct BSD usage: chown
> root:wheel) and 'hostname -f'. I changed the occurrences of hostname -f and
> chown root.root in rc.kolab, and now I could start and stop all the Kolab
> services. A quick 'sockstat' shows that there are indeed various services
> lurking at my TCP ports.
>
> Good. I thought. But when accessing the Web Administration with Konqueror
> (located at https://kolabserver.domain.com/, not
> https://kolabserver.domain.com/admin as indicated in the QIM), it tells me
> 'could not bind anonymously'
> about 6 times.
>
> I can login as any user (username and password don't matter, it always says
> I'm 'logged in as user blabla and belong to group user' and doesn't check the
> password), but I can't do anything on the web site. 'My user settings'
> displays empty fields and, in red, 'Internal Error: could not get
> Authentication Information
> ' at the bottom.
>
> Is there a configuration step in PHP somewhere that I missed, or is this
> something else?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Arjan
>
> P.S. Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list.

-=| Bill Swingle <unfurl at nextrials.com>
-=| Senior Systems Administrator
-=| Nextrials Inc. 1 925 785 1419