[Kroupware] Kolab in FreeBSD, web administrator doesn't work

Arjan van Leeuwen avleeuwen at piwebs.com
Mon Aug 18 22:32:41 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to run Kolab Server in FreeBSD 5.1. This is a short report of what
I had to do to get it running - it still doesn't work though.

First, I had to patch the cyrus-imapd groupfile hack, because it used
fgetgrent(), a function unavailable in BSD libc. An OS-independent
replacement can be found in the ProFTPd sources (lib/pwgrent.c). Otherwise,
the installation went smoothly.

When configuring, the bootstrap script runs 'hostname -f'. The '-f' switch
does not exist in BSD hostname. 'hostname' without arguments returns the
FQDN. The script asked for the FQDN instead, so I just typed it in. The rest
of the configuration seemed to go smoothly too.

I then proceeded to start Kolab with the rc.kolab script. This gave me a lot
of error messages about 'chown root.root' (correct BSD usage: chown
root:wheel) and 'hostname -f'. I changed the occurrences of hostname -f and
chown root.root in rc.kolab, and now I could start and stop all the Kolab
services. A quick 'sockstat' shows that there are indeed various services
lurking at my TCP ports.

Good. I thought. But when accessing the Web Administration with Konqueror
(located at https://kolabserver.domain.com/, not
https://kolabserver.domain.com/admin as indicated in the QIM), it tells me
'could not bind anonymously'
about 6 times.

I can login as any user (username and password don't matter, it always says
I'm 'logged in as user blabla and belong to group user' and doesn't check the
password), but I can't do anything on the web site. 'My user settings'
displays empty fields and, in red, 'Internal Error: could not get
Authentication Information
' at the bottom.

Is there a configuration step in PHP somewhere that I missed, or is this
something else?

Thanks for your help,

Arjan

P.S. Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list.