[Kroupware] freebusy outlook - authentication vs. free access

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Aug 8 21:48:56 CEST 2003

Am Freitag, 8. August 2003 13:01 schrieb Jon Bendtsen:

Hi,

> Why not publish using your account, rather than freebusy:freebusy
> is it because proftpd? cant authenticate through ldap?

No proftpd can authenticate against ldap very well. Actually freebusy is using
KDAP.

The main reason is that ftp is an insecure protocol and therefor we dont want
people to use their valuable credentials for ftp transfers.

> Why are access to the http://<kolab server>/freebusy/ not allowed
> without authentication?

There is no reason why http requires authentification.

> Is there a way to allow such access without
> password?

Yes, simply edit the httpd.conf template.

> Is it possible to "sign" the freebusy list so that people
> can know that it is me?

No, this is not possible in an ol compatible way.

> Apparently outlook can only look in one place, but suppose we have a
> lots of meetings with a provider/client/... that also uses a kolab
> (webdav for freebusy posting). If we can get a copy of their .vcf
> files. Can we just put them in the same dir, or do we have to put
> a @<domain name>.tld in the filename?

yes.

> What happens if people has the same name?

This does not happen because we use the email address as the uid and email
addresses are globally unique.

 Since i write %NAME% in the
> publish freebusy line, and i publish using freebusy:freebusy, how does
> it know that it should change the filename to jbendtsen?

%NAME% is equivalent to jbendtsen.

> kan the kde kmail klient also use the freebusy system, and see the
> schedule of outlook users?

yes!

> outlook related questions, but someone might know it anyway:
> does outlook search through ALL the files in the freebusy/ or just
> the one that has the same name as the email address of the one you
> want to look up?

yes!

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de