[Kroupware] Re: Kroupware RFC update

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Wed Apr 30 01:11:42 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 15:04, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
<snip>
> >    FIXME - In the KMail client the folders are all stored under a
> > specific folder. Would it be possible to have all the folders under
> > the root folder? Ie. INBOX, Contacts, Tasks, etc. on the same
> > depth?
>
> Since they are displayed at the top level, I suggest them to be
> stored there. AFAIK cyrus may be configured (option 'altnamespace')
> to display _all_ folders on the same level as INBOX or as subfolders
> of INBOX.

Can't be done. Some IMAP servers require all folders to be subfolders of
INBOX.

> >    FIXME (new) - A suggestion has been made that the folders should
> > not be listed at all with the LIST or LSUB commands but should be
> > accessed through hard-coded default folders.

Can't be done, needs server support.

> This is a requirement for the Groupware-Server? Has the
> Groupware-Server to hide/suppress these folders?

There's no "Groupware Server". This is about using normal off-the-shelf
IMAP servers for storing groupware data.

>  > This is not possible with Bynari
> >
> >    but Kolab can do this. Folders can also be hidden on the IMAP
> > server.
>
> I strongly suggest defined folder names which are translated into the
> currents application's locale by the client. Otherwise switching the
> client's locale would affect the functionality. And imagine a
> co-worker using a different locale: how should she be able to read
> your calendar-entries?

Imagine a user logging in with a normal IMAP client. He'll see the names
as they appear on the server. Imagine a user suddenly seeing __GW_Notes
where there were her "Notizen" before? ->Rings the helpdesk.

> >    Suggestion: Maybe there should be special, hidden folders like:
> >    __GW_Contacts, __GW_Calendar, __GW_Tasks, __GW_Notes?
>
> Sounds good, but I would leave out the "GW".
>
> Another thing that comes to my mind: what about using special flags?
> This could even be an alternative to fixed names.

Can't be done, needs server support.

Alternative: Does anyone know how IMAP servers handle arbitrary
namespaces? Iff all (or at least a majority) of IMAP servers let the
admin define arbitrary namespaces, we could put the groupware folders
into the #groupware namespace. That hides them from normal clients and
works with normal servers (given the above constraint).

> >    FIXME - Describe the process whereby a UA logs into the IMAP
> > server and the transport is used. Security comes into this as well.
> > Do we do any special actions or do we just open the hardcoded
> > folders?
>
> What do you mean here? Isn't this already covered by the IMAP
> protocol?

No need to discuss this IMO.

> >    FIXME - What consideration is given to offline storage or is it
> >    defined by the UA? Disconnected IMAP?
>
> Why should the RFC care about how the client stores data? This is up
> to the clients implementation.

You have to define how conflicts are resolved when syncing the groupware
folders (IMAP-DISC). I expect this to be the most important (and
lengthy) part of the spec.

Martin thinks conflicting messages should be duplicated, but there are
other issues (like when dup'ing the parent item of a subitem (use

> >    FIXME - Should the UA have hardcoded folder names? Ideally there
> > will be fixed names for the folders with a translation done by the
> > client. This way different clients using different languages can
> > use the same store. Is this feasible?
>
> Why should this be un-feasible?

See above.

> > 4. IMAP Groupware Folders
>
> I suggest:
>
> """
> Each Groupware item (contact, task, etc.) is
> represented as a SINGLE multi-part MIME email with an appropriate
> item attached.

Why multipart? Just make the top-level part
  text/{calendar,x-vcard,whatever}

> >    Each contact is represented as a multi-part MIME email with a
> > [vCard] attached in the user's IMAP contact folder.
>
> If the vCard is the main-part of the message, why require multi-part?
> If there are attachments, okay, but if there is only the vCard?

What is an "attachment" to a contact?

> Regarding Tasks: Does [iCal] define priority-values? Something like 1
> to 5, "unset", "important", "junk", etc. If not, I suggest to include
> these here.
<snip>

Define "here".

Marc

--
"Similia similibus curentur"
           -- Bush's new motto in fighting terrorism.