[Kroupware] Some speed issue debunking

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Mon Apr 28 15:41:23 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I have heard some strange issues with speed. So I tried testing it myself.

I have thirteen IMAP folders laid out as so:

max
  Inbox
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Tasks
    Notes
    Outbox
    Sent-mail
  user
    bo-shared
      Calendar
      Contacts
      Tasks
      Notes

Of these folders, the ones in user are all shared, with user being a
subfolder only folder. My groupware folders are currently under Inbox,
but I sometimes also use the folders under bo-shared for testing. The
folders have between 1 and 15 mails in them currently. The client is
current cvs status (which is more or less equal to the upcoming RC3 - in
which no speed fixes have been applied).

The server is max.kde.org - i.e. not a local one but one located somewhere
in Germany. I'm located in Denmark with a 2mbit line just for me. I don't
know what is currently installed on max - probably something newer than
RC1 of the server. Martin, Tassilo - please correct me if I'm wrong. My
client machine is a dual Athlon 2000 with 1GB memory. I don't know what
the server machine is.

Then numbers in my simple test:

A sync on this with noting changed, takes 7-8 seconds. Just over half a
second per folder.

I now added a single mail to each of the folders (user exepted, since this
can't hold mails). Syncing this took 14 seconds.

Then I removed that single mail from each of these folders again, and now
a sync took 11 seconds.

End of numbers.

I'm having trouble seeing the speed issues that have been reported. I do
know, however, that uploading mails is slow. The reason for this is
stability - we simply only upload a single mail and wait for the
succesful return before going to the next. The reason for this is that
the mail must be deleted locally and we wanted to be sure never to loose
a mail over this.

I know this is nowhere near a real test. For that I would need different
layout structures of the tree and a LOT more mails in each folder. My
hope is that my numbers here will give reason for some more specific
reports than just "IMAP is slow". So please fire up your tests and send
your numbers, if you have better tests that show some deficiencies (the
slow upload not included - I will probably refuse to fix that anyway).
But please: If you can't get anywhere near the numbers I've given here
with setups resembling it, don't send it as a speed report, but as a
question on why your setup doesn't perform well. Unless your machine is
much slower than mine, because then it could show that the client sync
speed depends on the client machine speed, which would be really bad.
There might also be other reasons that I haven't thought of, so if you're
in doubt, send it anyway.

It looks like there are people working on the IMAP layer in KDE for 3.2 or
perhaps 3.3, and it could be that there will be some speed improvements
from that work. But IMHO, KMail should receive a real IMAP implementation
instead of using the KDE IO layer for it. But this would be several man
months to get right, and I doubt it will happen unless some company
decides to sponsor that development. KIO really is suboptimal for IMAP,
but it is a working implementation that we have available now.

Bo.

- --

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark