[Kroupware] Slow startup with many calendar entries

Andreas Gungl kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu Apr 3 14:46:19 CEST 2003

Hi,

as merging of calendars works from Kroupware client RC1 on, I started to merge
my calendar from my regular installation's KOrganizer file.

I merged about 370 calendar entries plus about 45 todo entries using RC2.
Afterwards I synced with the Kolab server to make my entries permanent on the
server. Uploading took some time, however I didn't care so much about it.

I finished KMail and wanted to open it again some minutes later. Here begins
the nightmare. KMail is ugly slow reading the single calendar entries, every
time an entry is read a growing number of lines gets written to stdout
(libkcal: Write event ...). Same problem occurs when refreshing the local
IMAP cache. In the calender folder, the refresh of the cache starts fast
enough but slows down significantly the more entries have been read. While
KMail is usable during the refresh, the startup is really a problem. I have
to wait more than 5 min until KMail appears on the screen. In this time I can
do nothing (except using another program in the meantime). BTW, I'm using a
Toshiba Tecra 8100 with PIII 800 and 256 MB.

Well, one can argue that I should archive some of the events, however IMO
those 370 entries actually don't seem very much to me. At least, having only
about 120 entries in the calendar folder, the startup takes only 90 sec on my
system, which leads to the assumption, that the time is growing potentially
to the number of entries.

I hope you find a way to correct the current behaviour, i.e. make the startup
time at least linear to the number of entries. This would help a lot. When I
then reach a certain limit, then I would start to use archiving.

Regards,
Andreas

BTW, I had two crashes of the kroupware client on my system, but I didn't
bother with backtraces. As I have compiled with enable-debug (the two
kroupware packages only), I just want to ask whether you are interested in
backtraces or not. If yes, then I would provide it next time a crash occurs.