[Kroupware] Web interface frontend

Lutz Badenheuer kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:54:12 +0200

Hi Martin,

Am Donnerstag, 26. September 2002 11:34 schrieb Martin Konold:
> Lutz Badenheuer wrote:
> > internal mail storage. It just does not login via IMAP to read
> > mail, but instead directly reads the Maildir. This avoids forcing
> > data over
>
> This basically means you must setup unix users which we do not
> like. IMAP/Email users shall not get a unix account in our setup.

I have read the architecture paper, and I know that system accounts
are not wanted. :)

I didn't know that my english was SO bad. No, sqwebmail does NOT need
a system account for any user. It is designed to work with Courier
IMAP, both support pure virtual accounts similar to Cyrus. The simple
thing that has to be done for virtual user is to take a username and
resolve it to the attributes "userPassword" and "homeDirectory". It
does not make any difference for Coutier's MDA and Courier's MUA
(sqwebmail, pop3d, imapd) whether this info is resolved by
/etc/passwd (this would be a system account) or any other sort of
database (this includes LDAP).

Think of sqwebmail as just another MUA with virtual account support.

There is only one problem with sqwebmail: it has to run on the same
host where the (virtual) users Maildirs live, or use another way to
access that file system.

Possibly you may have a look at http://www.inter7.com/sqwebmail/ or
http://matt.simerson.net/computing/mail/toaster/ which is a setup for
FreeBSD, qmail, Courier IMAP and sqwebmail using pure virtual users.
I ported it do Debian recently...

Kind regards,
Lutz

--
Lutz Badenheuer     | IT--Consulting, Development, Networksolutions
luke@the-web-ac.com | C/C++, OO-Perl, sh | Linux, SCO UNIX, Solaris