[Kroupware] PDA/mobile sinchronization via network: Kroupware's way?

Aidas Kasparas kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:37:48 +0200

Hi,

	I'm talking about addressbook, appointment, and mail sinchronization
between PDA/mobile and data stored in Kroupware.

	Most hi-end mobiles support data transfer (either GPRS, HSCSD or  CSD)
and have some calendaring application + all have phonebooks. Some have
e-mail clients. All PDAs have e-mail applications, addressbook
applications and can use data services of mobile phones via cable,
infrared or bluetooth. Plus lots of PDAs have options to use 803.11
wireless networks. So, technically it is possible to have tcp/ip
connection PDA/mobile <-> krouoware's server. All this suggests that
capability to do sinchronization directly via network would be cool.

	As a proof of concept I allmost made setup [Palm m500] -bluetooth-
[Ericsson T39] -GPRS- [Boss' PC with Lotus Notes client and bunch of
conduits]. "Almost" because found no way to enter his password
automatically during sinchronization; if somebody enters that password -
everything is working. And I don't like this setup:
	- it requires to use PC as a server of some kind;
	- it requires separate PC for every user;

	The biggest advantage of such posibility - one no longer needs to carry
[relatively] bulky laptop to get informed what is going on, schedule
meetings from everythere, give directives from any place. Yes, costs to
operate such setup could be too high for student, but crazy for gadgets
managers are justifying these costs.

	Any plans/ideas on this topic?

Aidas