[Kroupware] Web interface frontend

Andrew Kohlsmith kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:51:23 -0400

> sqwebmail seems a good solution to me. It is written in C, accesses
> Maildir mailboxes via the filesystem and uses a template system. It
> is the fastest webmail interface I've ever seen even with large
> folders, and very easy to setup and use. It supports filtering when
> used in conjunction with the maildrop MDA and basic calendaring
> features, at this time calendaring can be considered experimental. In
> the end, it natively supports LDAP -- not to say that you can't get
> LDAP running with Cyrus SASL + IMAPD, but it's a pain.

I'm a big proponent of SquirrelMail, and precisely because it *doesn't* cheat
when retrieving mail.  It's totally standards-compliant, and has a very
flexible plugin system.

> What about using of Courier IMAP instead of Cyrus. I am not very
> happy with the LDAP support (in fact: without the LDAP support, for
> there isn't such) in CMU Cyrus SASL and Cyrus IMAP, and I have had
> very good experiences with the IMAP and POP servers in the Courier
> package. Is there any reason for the headache with Cyrus?

I use Courier-IMAP here but one of the biggest problems with it is that its
shared folder support isn't 100% ready (at least it wasn't the last time I
worked with it) -- shared folders are a big big part of kroupware and outlook
interoperability.

Regards,
Andrew