[Kroupware] Web interface frontend

Lutz Badenheuer kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:31:11 +0200

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 26. September 2002 00:45 schrieb Andreas Jellinghaus:
> there are lots of web interfaces available.
> an objective compariison would be nice, as i don't know them very
> well.
>
> people here are using squirrelmail, at my university i saw
> horde/imp. and i'm sure there are more systems out there.

sqwebmail seems a good solution to me. It is written in C, accesses
Maildir mailboxes via the filesystem and uses a template system. It
is the fastest webmail interface I've ever seen even with large
folders, and very easy to setup and use. It supports filtering when
used in conjunction with the maildrop MDA and basic calendaring
features, at this time calendaring can be considered experimental. In
the end, it natively supports LDAP -- not to say that you can't get
LDAP running with Cyrus SASL + IMAPD, but it's a pain.

Last, but not least -- and this is a point that I slowly start to
hate about Cyrus -- sqwebmail is very well-documented, as the other
Inter7 software packages are, too.

What about using of Courier IMAP instead of Cyrus. I am not very
happy with the LDAP support (in fact: without the LDAP support, for
there isn't such) in CMU Cyrus SASL and Cyrus IMAP, and I have had
very good experiences with the IMAP and POP servers in the Courier
package. Is there any reason for the headache with Cyrus?

Kind regards,
Lutz

--
Lutz Badenheuer     | IT--Consulting, Development, Networksolutions
luke@the-web-ac.com | C/C++, OO-Perl, sh | Linux, SCO UNIX, Solaris