[Kroupware] Another name for "Kroupware"

Bernhard Reiter kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:51:10 +0200

--84ND8YJRMFlzkrP4

Cornelius,

thanks for your post about the plans of the kde-pim group.

It is important to add to your quote of my post that I was posing
this as questions regarding the naming that we (from the kroupware project
itself) did not feel right to answer.

Your answer addresses much more than the naming problem.
Let me stress again that we fully support your aims.

Beside fulfilling our contract with the BSI our goal with the
kroupware project is to produce code in a way=20
that will help making progress with your long term plans.

Regarding the naming I think that you from the kde-pim=20
initiative are the right people to steer the discussion.

	Bernhard

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 12:06:51AM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 September 2002 16:46, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >
> > 	KDE Kolab client we are developing will be based on KMail
> > 	and KOrganizer, already known labels.
> > 	Furthermore there might be longer plans within the KDE-PIM
> > 	initiative to reshuffle the functionality later.
> > 	Maybe someone taking a lead role in KDE-PIM should comment
> > 	on the long term plans.

> Conclusion: We focus on the individual apps and make them available as=20
> components. They have well-recognized names and will keep them. We will=
=20
> add a framework for (optional) integration, but an important goal is to=
=20
> keep modularity and partition functionality in a sensible way to avoid=20
> redundancy as well as too monolithic applications.
>=20
> > 	If we want a new name, what will it label accurately?
> > 	The KDE client consisting of several components, which
> > 	habe names like KMail or KOrganizer?
> > 	All Kolab clients?
>=20
> There is no point in renaming existing well-known applications and I=20
> think the apps should also keep their name, if they are used as=20
> components in another app.
>=20
> We can discuss the name of the shell/framework/meta application. I like=
=20
> the name "Kaplan", but Don's proposal "Kontact" might also be fine. If=20
> somebody has a really good idea, we could also choose something=20
> completely different.
>=20
> > 	Will it replace KOrganizer?
>=20