[Kroupware] Kroupware schedule and complement

Helge Hess kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:38:13 +0100

On 2002-10-30 19:50 Uhr, "Martin Konold" <martin.konold@erfrakon.de> wrote:
>> This does not conflict. Nothing speaks against addressing individual
>> calendar items using http://.../mycal/62738.ics or something like this.
>> HTTP URLs do not need to map to a physical file, a collection-resource
>> like /mycal/ can easily be a database table which returns a full ics on
>> GET and a partial ics if if a key is specified.
>
> Yes, this can be nicely done with the help of mod_rewrite but then the
> solution does not scale extremly well anymore due to the simple fact (I know
> what I am talking about) that a sql database does not scale as good as most
> people believe.

That's certainly a too broad thing to discuss it out (better to talk about
that in real life ;-). IMHO if you need the features a RDBMS provides it's
hard to beat. If you have single user or 98%-readonly applications (like
address directories or private calendars), RDBMS can of course be overkill.
On the other way this is well catched by Squid.

BTW: I don't understand what mod_rewrite has to do with this.

>> Oh, oh, oh ;-) HTTP/1.1 isn't *that* simple if you implement the
>> features which make it scalable (like persistent connections, e-tag
>> based caching, etc).
>
> But I also get the same features with imap4 already!

Sure, this was an answer to your statement that HTTP is simple to implement,
which is not so. But fortunatly we have already very good HTTP client and
server libraries in almost any programming language.

How is reliable etag like proxy caching done with imap (squid replacement) ?
What OpenSource application level proxies are available for IMAP ?

>> certainly suiteable, I just wondered why it was choosen above HTTP which
>> already provides much better scalability infrastructure than IMAP4 (not
>> implying that none exists for IMAP ;-).
> This claim is imho wrong!

Well, I know a lot of HTTP servers which handle millions of users, I know
little mail servers which handle more than 10.000 users (eg Outlook HotMail
access is based on HTTP and probably the largest, server stored mail
application on the world).
Also I know a huge mass of high quality HTTP servers, clients, proxies,
caches etc but only a little number of IMAP ones - but that may well be
caused in ignorance ;-).

But again: you have choosen an IMAP based infrastructure which I think is OK
and scales well enough for the application. I also understand that you
selected IMAP because you get the Bynari plugin as a frontend "for free".
I don't want to make critics, just trying to understand !

Regards,
  Helge