AW: [Kroupware] Is Kolab Exchange structure compatible

"Müller, Thorsten" kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:33:34 +0100

Hi Tassilo,
thanks for your interest.
A site connector is a tool build in Microsoft Exchange Server.
Think about the following szenario:

A big company with several locations.
Now every location has an exchange server with mailboxes and maillists.
If one person is connected to the exchange in Hamburg and one is connected
to the
exchange in Munich the guy in Munich wouldn't be able to open the calendar
from the guy in Hamburg and reverse, because these objects are located on
two different exchange servers.
But if these are connected with an SiteConnector every exchange can open
objects
which are located on a different exchange server.

Exchange Servers are very public in big companies and constructing Kolab
Server with a possibility to connect into an existing Exchange Site would
make it more interesting for companies with existing exchange structures.

Company example.com

  Location 1: hamburg.example.com (exchange server)

  Location 2: munich.example.com (kolab server)

  Location 3: rom.example.com (exchange server)

All locations would be a part of the whole company exchange structure
(no matter if it's an exchange or kolab server).

In my opinion this would help Kolab for a better acceptance in big
companies,
because companies will not through away there complete exchange mail
solutions
because of this project.

Hope you could understand what i mean.
Sorry for my bad english.