[Kroupware] Re: kroupware_branch: kdepim/korganizer

Karl-Heinz Zimmer kroupware@mail.kde.org
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:58:33 +0200

--Boundary-02=_53Wq9kHXaxPqQwl

On Sunday 13 October 2002 14:56, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 13 October 2002 13:13, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > Content-Type used by Microsoft Outlook 9.0 (and 10.0) is
> > "text/calendar".
> >
> > The data starting with "BEGIN:VCALENDAR"
> >
> > So aren't they using the 'vCal' format?
>
> No, they don't use vCalendar, they use iCalendar. Both formats use the
> "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" tag, but they differ in the "VERSION" tag. The term
> vCalendar is commonly used for the old format.
>
> There are some fundamental differences between vCalendar and iCalendar,
> vCalendar has another MIME type, doesn't have journals, uses a
> different format for alarms and recurrence rules etc.
>
> It might sound as nitpicking, but it is important to get this completely
> right to ensure interoperability. gnome-cal for example used the
> version number of the application in the "VERSION" tag for a while,
> which made the format invalid and prevented loading in other
> applications.

You are right and managed to convince me.  :-)

Karl-Heinz
=2D-=20
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klar=E4lvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>