[Kroupware] Re: kroupware_branch: kdepim/korganizer

Steffen Hansen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:21:39 +0200

* Michael Brade <brade@kde.org> [Oct 11. 2002 13:02]:
> On Friday 11 October 2002 09:17, Steffen Hansen wrote:
> > First steps to integrates small notes in korganizer. I feel a bit bad about
> > fucking up the korg. design with this, but it fits in even worse
> > elsewhere...
> Heh, what a nice coincidence, last night I had a look at how to integrate
> KNotes with the pim suite and read through libkcal and a bit of libical.
> However, I didn't find methods to save notes... and the rfc's don't define
> notes as well. Now, a few questions:
>   - from the kroupware document I conclude that you'll do the saving already,
>     so I better stop this to avoid code duplication. But how are you going to
>     save the notes, are you writing the code yourself or are you going to use
>     a lib? Which one?

Right now I just save a note as a simple plain text email. The color of
the sticky note and it's geometry are saved into custom headers

This of course works, but if possible I'd rather use a standard format
-- I just couldn't find anything in vCal for notes :-(

Using libkcal for notes would also make my life easier, since I wouldn't
have to implement yet another communication channel between KMail and
KOrganizer.

>   - I don't like the fork of KNotes too much... why aren't you using the dcop
>     interface and hack knotes itself? Is it impossible?

KNotes stores notes by itself (in files somewhere under ~/.kde/). We
need to store the notes in a mail folder owned by KMail, so just using
KNotes didn't work.

I didn't want to waste time on reimplementing the yellow note
widget, so I stole the one from KNotes to get something working quickly.

>   - Are you going to implement alarms? If not, this comes next on my TODO.

Can notes have alarms? I thought that was only for appointments and
todos.

>   - Oh, what are the big plans for KNotes in Kroupware anyways? ;-)

No really big plans. Just a way of getting small sticky notes that can
be stored in an IMAP folder. Just something simple like what you get in
Outlook.

wkr.
--
Steffen Hansen

Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB

email: hansen@kde.org, steffen@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se,
       steffen@hrhansen.dk
www:   http://www.hrhansen.dk