[Kroupware] Web interface frontend

Andreas Jellinghaus kroupware@mail.kde.org
04 Oct 2002 17:08:30 +1200

A short, more direct answer to martins mail:

[direct access to ldap opposed to template/config files]
> You do not loose this functionality at all with Tassilos proposal.

i didn't claim to. but i see no necessity nor significant improvements
in the template/config file approach.

> Just think about the general advantage of using multiple tier architectures.

i don't see the advantage with ldap servers. but i see it with imap
servers: have a loadbalancer or round robin dns, a general purpose
proxy tier, and a second tier with the true storage server. a few
simple machines extra and a high speed network in the middle is
not much, and experience told me the load splitting works well.

[either imap,sieve needed or imap server needs to store data in ldap]
> Why not? Basically think of multiple implementations of the GUI frontend. E.g.
> a KDE program...

i think two protocols (imap and ldap) is not a big limit when designing
an application. but on the other side, i thought you didn't want to
change the cyrus imap source code? currently cyrus has internal
files like mailboxes and changing this would require api changes.

some imap clients such as the bynari insight client and connector
can change access control lists, and thus the imap server itself
also changes the mailboxes file. i don't see that the template
with data stored in ldap method could create the file or
sync any changed to that file. maybe it's possible, but i guess
implementation would be a lot of work.

Regards, Andreas