[Kroupware] /openpkg...

konold@erfrakon.de kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:31:05 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Lutz Badenheuer wrote:

Hi Lutz,

> I've read and understood your code at this time, you simply use it to
> connect to the LDAP server and access its data. There are Perl
> modules like Net::LDAP, why not use these or own objects inheriting
> from these?

The new beta version will be much more advanced. It will contain process
monitoring and configuration and all security stuff will be strictly in
the ldap repository.

We then use slurpd to talk to a perl programm which effectivly leads to
monitoring of LDAP writes. The later then triggers the generation of new
configuration files, mailboxes, reloading of processes etc. Only the
program writing the config data actually runs with root permissions.

This is a way to avoid any hacks like php scripts having root permissions
and allows us that any tools which is able to manipulate the LDAP
repository can be used to administer any aspect of the kolab server.

And in order to talk to slurpd we need ASN`s.

> Second, I do not understand why you do not fork() when a connet has
> taken place. Thus, every client would be handled by an own proces, so
> you don't have to worry with IO::Select.

This could potentially lead to a very large load on the system.

> Third, I do not understand who had the idea to write the config files
> line by line with print() statements. We should use Text::Template
> instead of this <censored> idea. The e-Smith guys work with this

Good point!

> I've added an oo-style pseudocode idea how to improve the scripts.

Tassilo: What do you think?

Regards,
-- martin

Germanenstra=DFe 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
mobil: 0175 4148693
fax: 0175 13 4148693
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de