[Kroupware] MAPI-Client?

Bernhard Reiter kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:06:31 +0100

--Boundary-02=_rHSy9nszA3VV1H3

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 12:24, Wolfgang Uhl wrote:

> I would like to use Kolab, but i have to work with the installed=20
> outlook-clients.

Did you also check out the architecture paper and the short-study
by Erfrakon as linked by the kroupware.kde.org website?

> will there be a free software as a plug-in for outlook,=20
> that will make it possible to use groupware-functions by an outlook-clien=
t?

Not within the current realm of the Kroupware project.
We hope that somebody in the future will fund or develop a windows native F=
ree=20
Software Kolab client. As intermediate step the (proprietory) Bynari plug-i=
n=20
seems reasonable.

> I know there's a solution from binary,=20
> but it won't be much cheaper for my company then one of the conventional =
>=20
solutions like exchange, groupvise, notes..

Your conclusion seems to be drawn on the licensing costs of the software=20
packages. You also have to look at the cost of operation. We believe that t=
he=20
technical advantages of the Kolab server will bring you significat cost=20
benefits during the operation.  Compared to the massive effort it would tak=
e=20
to run behind different outlook versions and close Bynari it seems a lot=20
wiser to put the available effort into making the Free Software client and=
=20
the Kolab server more attractive.