Adding new things

Leon Pennington leon at leonscape.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 18:09:19 CEST 2004

On Sunday 28 March 2004 14:09, you wrote:
> Which csg libraries did you found?
> The one I found is breplibrary http://breplibrary.sourceforge.net/
>
> It's used in 3dom, a linux modeler.

I've been looking at quite a few. I started with brep, and have also looked at
openCSG. Although its not quite as useful. I've been looking at a lot of stuff
about how to do CSG as well.

> The header comment in PMViewStructure:
>
>  * Represents the view structure (points, lines, faces) of an object
>  *
>  * Faces are not implemented yet but are needed later to calculate the view
>  * structure of csg objects
>
> I allways planned to add faces to the view structure, that comment is there
> for quite a long time now. Normally the order of the points determin the
> inside and outside, or more mathematically, the direction of the normal
> vector. I think all csg libraries follow this principle.

That appears to be the main approach, but I was thinking about other ways as
well, hoping to find something which could solve other problems, like how to
accuratley represent blobs, and other mathematical objects. They mainly
define a space, and have a mathematical boundary, and drawing them has a lot
of the same problems and solutions that CSG has.

Thats mainly what I've been researching, but the brep approach could possibly
be the best way, and I might be thinking about solutions which are to complex
( i.e slow and memory hungry ) for a modeller.

--
Leon Pennington

"Programming, it's an art form that fights back."