Photons and Re: Libraries

olivier.saraja at linuxgraphic.org olivier.saraja at linuxgraphic.org
Thu Jul 15 08:35:50 CEST 2004

Hi,

About the Libraries:
====================
> Hmmm. Since we don't have documentation and it's not fully stable, we
> should disable it. The only thing I hate more than a missing feature is a
> feature that doesn't always work.

I'd rather prefer to have a pop-up message (which could be dismissed
simply by clicking on a 'Dismiss' button) that warn me of each feature
which is still in beta- or alpha-phase. This way, I still can try to play
with new features, at my own risks. Please note that the Libraries are
something we need badly in KPM and that it would be wonderful to have it
the sooner, even with a disclaimer like I wrote before.

About Photons:
==============
It seems impossible to give a Photon block to a CSG product (Union,
Intersect...). I know that the Photon block is objects description blocks,
but if I have 35 objects melded into one object using CSG, I'm not sure
I'd like to set a Photon block for each of these, unless I'd like to have
a different behavior for each of these according to photon maps. What I'd
like to see is a Photon block for the CSG object, with the Photon blocks
at the objects level superceeding the one of the CSG level, if needed. I
feel that the workflow is more natural and quick this way.
What do you think? Is it possible to code like this without breaking
anything in POV-ray code?

Cheers,
Olivier SARAJA