View Update

Leon Pennington leon at leonscape.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 16:01:59 CET 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 18:11, Olivier Saraja wrote:
> one thought I had: could you create a plugin that emulates (or is a
> frontend for) the vegetate.inc you could find on :
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Program/9231/povray.html ???
>
> The vegetation object placement file would really be helpful to your
> landscape plugin, but I'm afraid that if you directly integrate vegetate
> functionalities in your own plugin, then vegetate.inc couldn't be used
> easily, I suppose, for other purposes in any scene... Perhaps I'm wrong, I
> know nothing of the magic of plugins... ;)
>
> If you need help reviewing the features the vegetate.inc, I could be of
> some help for you: I just wrote a paper on it for the French GNU/Linux
> Magazine. Even if I know nothing about its programming, I can say now that
> I know quite a bit about its use.
>
> Stay in touch...

Its not very suitable for what I need it to do. I will be writing code that
will execute in KPM. I'll be doing it this way so you can actually see where
the plants are in KPM before you render the scene ( It will also be
considerably quicker ). You will be able to move the trees/plants about
individually if you wish. The rivers, lakes roads positions will be taken
into account automatically. vegtable.inc does solve some of these problems
but in a way I can't use.

I of course say plants because thats what Its intended for, but it will accept
any object. The trees/plants plug-in will be separate.

Now if you have anything on clouds... I'm unhappy with the current set I've
got as its not flexable enough and its quite complicated to get a nice set of
results. Its very fast to render though, and does produce a very nice sunny
sky. So I'll probably keep it around as an option.

Even just an example object, It doesn't have to be an include or macro. In
fact just an object would probably be better. As long as it just uses
standard patterns and no external files.

--
Leon Pennington

Programming is a pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but
with fewer opportunities for reward.