New releases of KDE and Povray and a proposal

Andreas Zehender zehender at kde.org
Thu Feb 5 07:44:56 CET 2004

On Thursday, 05. February 2004 01:52, Luis Passos Carvalho wrote:
> As for m_pIOManager, I  may need it as well, but I'm not sure. Is the code
> for xml serialization handled by the IO Manager or is it stored in PMObject
> and its descendents? I don't remember.

xml serialization needs no io manager. Only import/export formats.

> > One more idea: What about collecting the gui functionality of the part in
> > a separate class. The part should work correctly without an instance of
> > this class. Then dependent of the created components of the part, gui
> > functionality is available or not. Could be extended to other
> > functionality groups to make PMPart more scalable and flexible.
>
> That's pretty much what I said only you're saying it from top down and I
> said it bottom up. :)

Ahh, fine :)

> In my case I said to create a PMPartBase containing everything but visual
> element and putting the visual elements in PMPart that inherits from
> PMPartBase. Obviously, we would go through every object replacing
> references to PMPart with references to PMPartBase.
>
> What you're saying is have a PMPart with everything but the visual
> elements, and then creating a PMPartUI or something like that that contains
> those visual elements and inherit from PMPart.
>
> Both are really the same, only the class names change. Your idea makes us
> change less code as we don't have to visit the objects code to change the
> references to PMPart to references to another class. That's fine by me.

Good.

The advantage of my approach is that plugins (which have to be children of the
part) can detect at creation time which functionality is available and
register only needed services.

 Andreas Zehender
 Master of Computer Science, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 http://www.azweb.de
 az at azweb.de | zehender at kde.org