New releases of KDE and Povray and a proposal

Luis Passos Carvalho lpassos at oninetspeed.pt
Thu Feb 5 01:52:41 CET 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 21:31, Andreas Zehender wrote:

> Ah, I remember.
> The part creates the widget if not created by PMShell. That's used to
> preview a kpm scene embedded in konqueror. The part works correct without a
> view widget.

Yes I know. Or at least it should. But in stripping the creation of the
widget, I might have stripped something else.

> Do you only need object serialization/deserialization and creation for the
> object library? That means the m_pPrototypeManager, m_pInsertRuleSystem and
> m_pIOManager.

For the object tree preview and drag'n'drop I need:
	a scene: m_pPart->m_pScene
	insertion rules (for drop): m_pPart->m_pInsertRuleSystem
	serialization (for drag): indirectly from any PMObject I need
m_pPart->m_pPrototypeManager

As for m_pIOManager, I  may need it as well, but I'm not sure. Is the code for
xml serialization handled by the IO Manager or is it stored in PMObject and
its descendents? I don't remember.

These needs aren't direct requirements of the code in the object library, but
rather indirect through the components I used to build the library browser.
PMTreeView and the parts' object insertion code.

> One more idea: What about collecting the gui functionality of the part in a
> separate class. The part should work correctly without an instance of this
> class. Then dependent of the created components of the part, gui
> functionality is available or not. Could be extended to other functionality
> groups to make PMPart more scalable and flexible.

That's pretty much what I said only you're saying it from top down and I said
it bottom up. :)

In my case I said to create a PMPartBase containing everything but visual
element and putting the visual elements in PMPart that inherits from
PMPartBase. Obviously, we would go through every object replacing references
to PMPart with references to PMPartBase.

What you're saying is have a PMPart with everything but the visual elements,
and then creating a PMPartUI or something like that that contains those
visual elements and inherit from PMPart.

Both are really the same, only the class names change. Your idea makes us
change less code as we don't have to visit the objects code to change the
references to PMPart to references to another class. That's fine by me.

Best regards,
Luis