distributed rendering

Christoph Fabianek fabianek at cs.utk.edu
Sun Sep 21 03:46:45 CEST 2003

Hi,

ok - I have now an implementation of the distributed rendering interface that
works fine for me and includes user feedback and correct orientation.

The user feedback works as described in a previous mail, i.e., whenever a row
of tiles is finished it is displayed which leads to a somewhat snatchy
feedback but I think for remote rendering you can't get anything better. And
there is always the option to look into the output window to see which
machines are currently working.

As for the orientation of the images: it turns out that there are various TGA
formats with different orientations - this is also fixed now.

I will also write some documentation today - could someone please send me the
sources of the kpovmodeler docs or point me to the location where to download
- I will update the section "POV-Ray Interaction".

Attached is the patch - I would be glad if someone would test it and give me
feedback. Beside the patch you will need nspovray and optionally NetSolve
(you may use SSH or NetSolve as transport for accessing other machines).
Unfortunately, building nspovray from sources is currently a bit difficult
since it requires NetSolve. So you have two choices:

- Download the binaries from
  http://fsmat.at/~cfabiane/software/nspovray_i686-pc-linux-gnu_0.4pre.tar.gz
  and unpack it into an empty directory. Afterwards use this directory as
  "nspovray Path" in the "Distributed Rendering" tab (Render Modes dialog) and
  specify the following agent: "netsolve.cs.utk.edu"
  see the screenshot for an example configuration:
  http://fsmat.at/~cfabiane/tmp/render_modes.png

- or you may download the sources and compile at first NetSolve
  http://icl.cs.utk.edu/netsolve/downloads/
  and then nspovray
  http://fsmat.at/~cfabiane/software/nspovray_src_0.4pre.tar.gz
  follow the instructions on
  http://fsmat.at/~cfabiane/nspovray.html
  (this will take a few hours so I highly recommend using the binaries!)

Greetings,
   Christoph

PS: I just did a final test and I know - the machines currently in the
NetSolve grid are really slow and the scheduler still doesn't distribute the
load optimally... Hopefully, I can add some faster machines in the next days
and the scheduler gets better before the release of NetSolve 2.0 scheduled
within the next weeks.