distributed rendering

Christoph Fabianek fabianek at cs.utk.edu
Fri Sep 19 12:31:51 CEST 2003

Hi Andreas,

I agree that with a render plugin framework and perhaps some other
architectural changes a cleaner support would be possible. But just trashing
my work and wait at least another year (in Nove Hrady it was looking like
that the next KDE version will be based on Qt 4) would be quite
unsatisfactory.

So, my changes are quite small I think and can be easily removed when a new
design/implementation is in place. But for the meantime we would have
distributed rendering support and gain experiences how this feature is used
and what people want.

As for the progress information: I can offer to display the data of one row in
the grid as soon as it is available. E.g., rendering a 300x200 image with
distribution tile size of 100x100 would show you in the beginning the upper
half (300x100) and in the next step the lower half of the image.
But I still need someone to explain me, why the output of *.tga file (e.g.,
cat file.tga) is shown bottom up in KPM.

I hope that my code will be included in the next release! Let me know what you
think about it...

Regards,
   Christoph