KPovModeler Tutorial

Hugo Ferreira hmf at inescporto.pt
Mon Jul 14 10:03:34 CEST 2003

Hi,

Sorry for only replying now. I have no connection at home.
(Gave up on cable modem, service was really bad).

On Saturday 12 Jul 2003 12:13 pm, Luis Carvalho wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2003 19:22, Andreas Zehender wrote:

> > Over the mailing list again. Maybe Luis is reading this.
>
> Although I've been really, really quiet these last few months, I'm still
> here. I presume this is part of a conversation with Hugo Ferreira, which, I
> presume from the email is also from Portugal, and what's more works/studies
> in the same town that I do. :)

Interesting. BTW it is "works". Way too old to be studdying 8-}.

> > > No problem. I have already started looking at the doxygen
> > > documentation. I will need some time to "learn" the structure. BTW, are
> > > you using any IDE for development?
> >
> > XEmacs :-)
>
> I use konsole/vim myself. Once I learned vi about 12 years ago I never
> really wanted anything else. I made small incursions into emacs (mainly for
> the scripting, programmers curiosity really) and kate (to check what was so
> cool about it) but ended up back in vim.
>
> Vim has one function I can't survive without: code folding. I wonder how I
> could spend more than half my programming life without code folding!

Kwrite, Kate, (maybe KEdit ) and Kdevelop have code folding. I tried Gideon
and this seems to work ok.

> > I tried every version of KDevelop, but never was satisfied by the editor.
> > XEmacs has the best autoindentation. Maybe it is time to try the latest
> > alpha or CVS version of KDevelop again. I am missing autocompletion in
> > XEmacs.

Giedeon does not seem to have this either. Haven't looked into it though.

> I also check kdevelop regularly, but I hate the available editors.
> Eventually one or two hours later I'm back to konsole/vim. Even kvimpart
> doesn't suit my needs.
>
> Although a good gui for debugging would definitely be great. I have some
> dificulties with kdbg.

I am much too "green" to comment on this.

> > How much time do you want to spend for KPovModeler? Are you interested in
> > implementing all missing objects? I'd like to finish the plugin framework
> > with a POV-Ray 3.5 plugin for KDE 3.2.
> > And we lack the time to do much development at the moment. Would be great
> > to have a new team member.
>
> Aye! That it would!

Unfortunatelly I don't have much time. Basically I just wanted to support the
polygons. I can go on giving some of my time, but I cannot give u any
guarantees. 8-(

I will be looking at the tutorial and asking some questions, of course ;-).
Andreas, thanks for the info. Any way I could add comments to the code to
reflect this information?

I would like to ask a related question. I had a look at the parser and see
that it is a major part of the work. I have also realized that parsing and
supporting all the PovRay objects is a constant battle for any application
that interfaces with povray. So may question is, have any of you considred
using automatic parser generators to do this work? If not, why? Please note:
this is not a suggestion to change Kpovmodeler. I am merely interested in the
reasons for your decisions.

TIA,
Hugo Ferreira.