CVS version question

Andreas Zehender zehender at kde.org
Mon Jul 7 23:39:07 CEST 2003

Hi!

On Monday, 07. July 2003 20:33, Hugo Ferreira wrote:
> I did not install the CVS version lest I "bugger up" my RPM instalation.
> Question: how can I compile and test this stuff without destroying the
> previous working version?

You can specify the installation directory with
./configure --prefix=...

But don't forget to add the chosen prefix to the environment variable KDEDIRS,
otherwise the resources (icons, toolbars) are not found.
There should be an INSTALL file in the kdegraphics package with details.

> I tried to compile and run the binary (without installation) and I am aware
> that it is in fact a new version because we have the new Object Libraries
> and Plug-ins configuration option. However, wether I point to /usr or
> /usr/local I cannot create a scene. The options are not active.
> Question: do I have to do something for this to happen? Clean my old
> configuration perhaps?

These are work in progress and not finished yet.

> I have noticed that the CVS version has no "PovRay import/export" option.
> Is this an error on my side, or will KPovmodeler not support this anymore?

It has an export option that opens a dialog to export any supported format.
Plugins can add aditional formats (3ds etc.). Maybe you can't see it because
you didn't install the program. The menu entries are resources, too.

> Ok, last one. I promise ;-). Bear with me. I am using an architectural CAD
> application to design a house. This application (CyCas) uses polygons and
> background. Any way this can be added to KPovM? I saw a comment that this
> was considered "not important" and chances are you developeres may not wish
> to do follow this through. If this is the case, could anyone give me some
> hints on how to achieve this.

Well, if you find a developer to implement polygons, we would be happy to add
them to KPovModeler. My personal priorities are the plugin framework and csg
evaluation. And I have very little spare time at the moment, so any help is
welcome.

Greetings, Andreas

 Andreas Zehender
 Master of Computer Science, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 http://www.azweb.de
 az at azweb.de | zehender at kde.org