Want to contribute

Luis Carvalho kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:55:59 +0000

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 14:38, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> I want to contribute to kpovmodeler development. Since I'm currently
> following a course on animation techniques, I would like to begin an
> animation system for KPovModeler. Is anybody working on that currently ?

Hi!

Welcome. I don't think anyone has started developing anything for animation,
although there has been some discussion on it before.

Andreas may have some class interfaces already because of the plugin
architecture.

You might check our discussions in the list's archive to get an idea on our
thoughts for animation.

> I just downloaded the current CVS, and I have some thoughts about it:
> 	- I think it would be better if the source files are divided into
> subdirectories. If you agree, I'll do it and submit the new source tree
> for review. I know that it will be a pain since CVS doesn't allow to do
> this sort of things gracefully, but IMHO it is really needed.

We are currently on a moving process. It's not certain that we'll be staying
in kdegraphics or where we'll move to for that matter. Aldo, with the plugin
architecture it was known that we would have to restructure the source code.
Again, Andreas may already have a proposal. Be sure to check with him so that
you don't duplicate work.

> 	- I would like to try to adapt the concept of the IDEAl mode of gideon
> (a.k.a. kdevelop 3, screenshot:
> http://www.kdevelop.org/graphics/pic_corner/gideon-3.0.png) to
> kpovmodeler. Since I don't think it will be a pain to do (the UI of
> kpovmodeler seems really well-designed), I think I'll do it and ask for a
> review.

Well, I like the UI as it is now, but it's all about choice. Maybe IDEAl is
better. I've never tried it really. Just allow us to use the old one if we
prefer.

> If you think that some of this are not good idea at all, just tell me, I
> don't want to work for nothing...

Sure.

Best Regards,
Luis

PS: Andreas didn't have Internet access for some time and I'm not sure he's
back yet, so expect some delay in getting answers from him.