DrQueue

olivier at linuxgraphic.org olivier at linuxgraphic.org
Wed Dec 17 16:34:27 CET 2003

Hi all,

I just read on www.blender.org about DrQueue in order to distribute renders
(Blender and Maya, so far) among many computers. I don't understand anything,
but I think the subject could be of interest because some of you are working on
this topic.

http://www.drqueue.org/

<QUOTE>
"General Information
DrQueue is a tool to distribute shell based tasks such as rendering images on a
per frame basis. DrQueue works under Linux and Irix. It is distributed under
GPL and is composed by three main tools: master, slave and drqman.
The master acts as a server, where all tasks are stored and where computers
running slaves report their success or failure executing the tasks.

The slaves run on every node of the renderfarm. They inform about their load
average and if it is below some level (determined by the user) the are
considered available for rendering. Then they take the first task asigned by
the master server.

drqman is the GUI used to control jobs and computers. You can reprioritize
jobs, stop them, restart specific frames, change frames to be rendered and so.
drqman uses gtk as widget library.

Right now DrQueue supports Maya and Blender under the GUI. The rest of tools
need a small shell script to be written.

DrQueue has been tested in production environments and has proved to be a
stable alternative to other comercial products with the advantage of being
licensed under GPL.

In case of doubt please do not hesitate in contacting me, I will gladly try to
help you solve your particular problem: jorge at drqueue.org " </QUOTE>

Cheers,
OlivS