Busy but happy

kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:56:59 +0200

Hi all,

no news from me from a while, but I'm still active... ;o)

Latest news: I wrote a new tutorial about modeling a screwdriver using CSG. It
will be available very soon for reading and comment.

Wishe: could the URLs for my latest tutos be removed from the kpm actual
website? These versions weren't intended for public display: I'm about to
remaster their layout and place them on linuxgraphic.org, and tuto#2 about
lighting is not totally complete (I still must write about medias and write a
short radiosity tuto). Once done, these URL at Linuxgraphic will be my personal
official ones... Until the migration is done, you can let the URL like this, it
doesn't really matter, it's just that these links features on my private home
page on role playing games and that I lack space. I'll give you shortly the new
URL, and then the old ones should be changed on the kpm homepage.

And now, some feature requests and miscellaneous questions:

Question 1: I can't use image map (i.e., using a jpeg picture as a texture) for
any of the primitives in my actual version of kpm (still 0.2, as I can't access
CVS). Could someone write me a short guideline about achieving this feat, even
minimally? At home, each time, Preview and Render ends in a Povray exit error
code but I don't know if it's because I lack skill or because there's a bug of
some sort. Should I send to someone a source example file and a screenshot of
the error message?

Question 2: to the development team. When will we have Gouraud (or other type!)
shading in the 3D views, it would be so neat! With the same idea in mind, will
the result of CSG ever be displayed in the 3d views (edges only or surface
shading) for better visualization (I mean result of the CSG and not all the
primitives involved in the CSG, without having to play with cumbersome
visibility levels: just the very result of all the Boolean operations). We
could have a check box in the Union/Merge/Difference/Intersection properties
view to specify either this operation should be displayed with all the
primitives or only the result of the operation...

Question 3: when will nurbs and meshes be supported in kpm? Is it planned in a
near or far future? I know it's very important to have kpm as stable as rock,
but I wait for these features with great anticipation... ;o)

Question 4: will we ever have a fillet, chamfer, rounding, corner set of tools
to work the intersection of objects involved in CSG? It would be soooo cool!

Thanks a lot, and keep the good work! :o)

You'll hear soon from me about the tutorial #03 about CSG :o)

Cheers,
Olivier