Tagging, releases and a problem

Andreas Zehender kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:24:47 +0100

Hi!

On Thursday 14 February 2002 20:33, CARVALHO Luis Passos wrote:
> > Should I add the pigment change to the bugfix release? Or can the
> > inconsitencies be tollerated? It's hard to maintain two versions
> > separately.
>
> You can use tags/branches in the CVS to maintain different code.
> Unless you develop in parallel in the two branches, the space needed to
> store the code doesn't increase.
> That way, if there is a serious bug you can check out that release's
> code and patch that, without messing with the HEAD development.

I don't know if we are allowed to add branches to the KDE CVS.

> Anyway, only serious crashing bugs should be fixed in alpha releases, I
> think.

That's what I did for the 0.1.1 version.

> By the way, do you have any idea on what do you intend to have working
> before the next release?
> I think I can finish every texture component before the next release
> (icons excluded :)), unless you want one real soon.
> Also, I need to go through all the includes I've written and document
> them, as most of them are not documented yet.

I want to finish all povray 3.1 objects for the next release. I am almost
finished with the prism and lathe objects, but there are some tricky ones
left. I have no idea at the moment how to generate a wire frame for the
poly, cubic and quartic objects for example.

The next release will not be very soon. The 0.1 version was a usable
version to get some user feedback. I do not plan another release except
the bugfix release the next time.

> As for the problem:
> 	It comes from interdependencies between objects.
> 	For instance, certain pattern types are incompatible with normals or
> specifying a depth in a pattern is incompatible with slope map or
> normal map.
> 	The control for this belongs to their parent object in the tree. So,
> what I thought was, much like in pmdeclare, the type is different,
> depending on what is inserted in the declare, a pmpattern can also
> return different object types depending on it's pattern type and if
> there is a depth or not. Another possible solution is to have a
> subType() method so that the parent knows what to expect. What do you
> think?
>
> 	Personally I'm more in favor of the first, as it doesn't change
> anything in the framework, but it's less open to change than the
> sub-type approach.

One additional solution: The depth attribute is only shown by the edit
dialog if the parent of the pattern is of a certain type. The depth value
is only serialized by the pattern if it is allowed.

A subType method will IMHO kill the current framework. Different object
types that are dependent on the pattern type should be no problem and the
better solution.

Greetings, Andreas
 Andreas Zehender, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 Student, 9th semester computer science