[kplato] PERT Variability

Jim Sabatke jsabatke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 01:10:22 CEST 2006

Hi all,

First, congrat's for getting out a first version!!!

When we first started discussing this project, we spent a lot of time on
PERT statistics.  In my opinion, PERT charts are a waste of a LOT of
paper, but the statistics are extremely useful and separate a mediocre
planner from a truly useful one.  They are also easy to understand and
calculate.  They also (usually) give much more accurate resulting
delivery times than hard durations.

Another very valuable tool is the charting of certain project variables.
  The most useful:

1. Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled vs. Actual Cost of Work Performed.
This gives the schedule variance.  You can show this to your manager or
team and disclose if the they are behind or ahead of schedule/cost.  You
all probably realize that in software projects especially, that often
tasks are done out of order for various reasons.  Therefore, GANTT
charts are often deceptive.  When building a bridge, concrete HAS to be
poured and cured before starting steelwork; but in software the tasks
are often just a collection of things that need to be done, often in no
particular order.

2. Actual Cost of Work Performed vs. Actual Cost of Work Scheduled.
This is the cost variance.  Are we delivering this project at the
defined cost?

Attention to those two graphs will give notice of disasters while there
is still time to correct them.  They also give 'paperwork' to managers
that they can easily understand when they ask if the project is on time
and within budget.  Managers don't want to hear about task variability
as a rule, so these, plus GANTT charts, tend to placate them.

As one of the originating 'thinkers' on this project, I am very happy to
see it moving forward.

Regards,

Jim