[kplato] releasing KPlato with KOffice 1.5

Claus Agerskov ca at chbs.dk
Sat Nov 26 00:09:19 CET 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:

> I would like to put forth my ideas regarding the first KPlato release.

I like what you write.

> My suggestion is to provide a technology preview release (aka version 0.9)
> with KOffice 1.5, a bit like the Kexi people did. So we basically say KPlato
> is ok and usable so people can take a look at it, but we don't give gurantee
> regarding compatibility to future versions.

Sounds like a very good idea - so you don't give the users too high
expectations.

> This way we are not too much pressed with doing (the important things) right
> from start but can listen to user feedback to provide a really solid 2.0
> release (yes, we skip 1.0 because the next KOffice release will be 2.0
> after1.5).

But when will 2.0 be released? As far as I could read from the KOffice
developer pages 2.0 is developed in parallel with 1.5 - but how much
is the 2.0 behind 1.5?

Maybe there isn't enough time to develop and remove the bugs that the
users of 0.9 will report.

> Such a release plan will also allow us to make sure the file format is ok and
> is usable for real-world-situations. This relates to the recently created
> OPMEF project where a file format for project management will be created.
> Look at http://www.opmef.org for details. So the first KPlato release will
> hopefully be already a first proof of concept implementation for the OPMEF
> format. KPlato will use it as the native file format.

We have to speed up the creation of a draft of OPMEF which could be based
on KPlato's format. I have mentioned that KPlato 2.0 will use OPMEF on
both the opmef mailing list and web site.

Keep up the good work ;v)
--
De herligste hilsner     _/
                      __/ | +           Jeg  vil  leve i en verden,  hvor