[kplato] releasing KPlato with KOffice 1.5

Raphael Langerhorst raphael.langerhorst at kdemail.net
Fri Nov 25 18:32:33 CET 2005

Hi all,

I would like to put forth my ideas regarding the first KPlato release.

My suggestion is to provide a technology preview release (aka version 0.9)
with KOffice 1.5, a bit like the Kexi people did. So we basically say KPlato
is ok and usable so people can take a look at it, but we don't give gurantee
regarding compatibility to future versions.

This way we are not too much pressed with doing (the important things) right
from start but can listen to user feedback to provide a really solid 2.0
release (yes, we skip 1.0 because the next KOffice release will be 2.0
after1.5).

Such a release plan will also allow us to make sure the file format is ok and
is usable for real-world-situations. This relates to the recently created
OPMEF project where a file format for project management will be created.
Look at http://www.opmef.org for details. So the first KPlato release will
hopefully be already a first proof of concept implementation for the OPMEF
format. KPlato will use it as the native file format.

Regards,
--
Raphael Langerhorst
http://raphael.g-system.at/blog