[kplato] KPlato file format

Raphael Langerhorst raphael-langerhorst at gmx.at
Sun Jan 16 10:23:35 CET 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 09:36, Claus Agerskov wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > has anyone further thoughts on standard file formats for project
> > management?
>
> I have expressed my opinion earlier but I will do that again - see
> my response further down.
>
> > Especially has anyone investigated the Jabber related
> > information?
>
> As far as I can see the Jabber information is collaboration
> information and not project management information about tasks.
>
> > Some time earlier an idea of providing a _new_ OASIS
> > specification specifically for project management ("ProjectXML"),
> > any more thoughts on that?
>
> I still think that the OASIS way is the right way to go so the
> format can be worked on in an open standard organization and ind
> the end be an ISO standard.
>
> > And finally, there is either the PMXML
> > standard we could base on or we could add project management
> > specs to the OASIS Open Document format.
>
> As I see it project management data are more like database oriented
> than office documents usual are so I would take a specific project
> management approach more than the office approach to create an open
> standard format for project management data - or maybe all project
> data.
>
> > Of course there is always the possibility to stay where we are...
> > although I would strongly suggest to either create some standard
> > (then we need clean specs) or move to existing standards (like
> > PMXML) and improve those as needed.
>
> Investigating the PMXML format is the best approach as I see it but
> also take a closer look at the other alternatives which you can see
> on this page:
>
>   http://proj.chbs.dk/specifications/
>
> > Personally I probably have not much time to elaborate on the file
> > format issue, although I would either favor to add a project
> > management spec to the OASIS specification if possible
> > considering the Jabber specs, or base our file format on PMXML.
>
> PMXML is the best way to go right now as I see it and take the
> further development of the format to OASIS so it can be and open
> standard which in the end could become an ISO standard.
>
> > In any case we need to get clear of the file format needs we
> > have, no matter in what form of specifications we choose.
>
> We should collaborate with the other project management tool
> projects about such a standard so it is not only a free software
> and open source standard but a widely supported standard for
> project management tools.
>
> The most enjoyable greetings

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for these thoughts (again). I agree on all of these
points, especially on the final goal to create an OASIS standard.
Getting there together with other free project management software is
surely important as well.

Personally I'll not have enough time left to start on this work now. I
have a few other tasks I want to complete before KOffice 1.4 is out.
Then (probably end of February / beginning of March) I will
concentrate more on the file format issue of KPlato. In general I
would like to have KPlato to be ready for KOffice 2.0.

If anyone else wants to contribute that would be great of course,
starting with collecting the particular needs we have on the format -
maybe together with other projects (Planner, TaskJuggler, ...).

Regards,
Raphael Langerhorst, JID: raphael at jabber.pilgerer.de
G System, The Evolving Universe - http://www.g-system.at