[kplato] Fwd: RE: license and patent issues with PMXML

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Nov 18 19:07:11 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 18:43, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > > a) contact these people to improve PMXML
> >
> > IMVHO, I think they probably have met their objective, to enable
> > data exchange between PMs. They didn't intend to save *all* data
> > needed to recalculate. It doesn't mean extending it is out of the
> > question, though.

I don't know PMXML but if it's a good basis for this kind of data, this should
definitely be considered.

> > > b) create own (OASIS??) standard or find another standard we can
> > > use
> >
> > Personally I would have liked this better, but it is of course a
> > lot of work. Anyone?
>
> David, would you be potentially willing to do the official work
> involved if we come up with a standard?

Yes.

> Personally I think project management software has some importance
> although it is not used by every end users. Still, all people should
> be able to share project plans without being bound to one specific
> application. Thus I would also like to have some sort of officially
> accepted standard, whatever that may be (and OASIS being an obvious
> option as most of KOffice is going to be OASIS compliant).

OK. I have to stress that the most important part in "defining an oasis standard for
a new kind of data" is to make sure the new stuff "fits in" - i.e. uses the same data
types as the rest of the specification, is specified in RelaxNG plus .sxw document of course,
and reuses as much as possible of the existing spec. Since I suppose you guys don't
know the oasis spec very well, you can either ask me for specific things, or use search
in the specification (latest version is at http://kdab.net/~dfaure/office-spec-1.0-draft-17.sxw).