[kplato] projects, subprojects and tasks

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Sat May 3 00:33:37 CEST 2003

> Hi Thomas,
>
> >Thats odd; its not a subproject and I doubt it shoud be displayed like
> >one.
> >
> >I designed the class structure in such a form that it keeps consistent
> >data when adding removing nodes, but when adding removing data means
> >that an existing node changes who he is, then thats really odd...
> >
> >Can someone with project planning experience tell me if a node should
> >change who he is according to the children he has?
> >

> Well, I have had a look at MS Project and at gnome/mrproject. In both
> these programs a task becomes a subproject as soon as it gets some
> children. Child tasks can be generated simply by indenting other tasks.
>
> I would also say that this is the behaviour that does not surprise the
> user.

Sounds fine then; but its too long ago that I looked at the code so I
don't know how to solve that; I suspect you have an idea?

ps. the docs were not being updated, I just fixed that; so go to
    http://www.koffice.org/developer/kplato/
for class docs.

> >Btw; looking at the docs I see that there is a openDialog on KPTTask,
> >that should not be there, KPTTask is a data object and has nothing to
> >do with views.
> >For the one who wrote that; please read up on the ModelViewController
> >design pattern...
> >
> Well, I am not the one who wrote it. But it is not just in KPTTask , but
> also in KPTProject and milestone, The method is virtual on the node, and
> so this is designed to produce a dialog just by telling the dialog: give
> me a fitting dialog to edit your data. It is not MVC, but it is
> certainly indended to be clever, as everyones code always is :)

As a very famous man said; as soon as you find your solution or idea
particularly smart, your probably doing something very silly.

> Apart
> from that I support Your view that this should be changed.

Again; I'm not familiar with the code; maybe you see a way to seperate
the logic from the view?

> I just had a look at http://koffice.kde.org/kplato/current.phtml:
> Is a merge with taskjuggler still planned?

Planned, yes. Planning, no.

--
Thomas Zander