[kplato] explenation from project managers please?

Pedro Restrepo kplato@kde.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:22:16 -0500

Hi,

I have sent this message yesterday, but it appears that the message did not arrive.

These terms are related with the CPM (critical path method) or logical network programming
technics. The logical network represents a project divided into discret works (activities)
linked by precedence (order of execution) relations.

I propose these explanations:

ASAP: (As soon as possible) To program activities (or tasks) for the ealier possible date.
ALAP: (As late as possible) To program activities for the later date that do not causes delay on other activities.

A network can be calculated in two ways: from the beginning of the net to the end
(progressive) or from the end to the beginning (regressive). The regressive calculation
needs an ending date previously defined. The progressive calculation will yield the ASAP
dates, the ALAP dates are calculated using the regressive calculation.

When an activity is conditioned by facts external to the network (other projects, climate,
government restrictions, etc), these facts must be represented using "constraints". The last
terms you are asking for, are constraints. The meanings are:

Start not earlier than: The activity can not begin on a date earlier than the fixed date.
Finish not later than: The activity can not finish later than the fixed date.
Must start on: The beginnig date for the activity is fixed.