[kplato] Two GUI questions

Dag Andersen kplato@kde.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:23:13 +0100

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 22:53, John Lamb wrote:
> 1. What is a good way to put durations (times) into the tasks in
> the GUI? I think we need to enter them as a set of parameters for a
> distribution. The default should be a fixed distribution: the
> _time_ for the task. Then a PERT distribution: three times.
> Possibly, later other distributions. But, how do we enter a time?
> It will be too much to ask for days and hours and minutes and
> seconds always. One possibility is to set a time scale for the
> project: days, weeks, hours. Then the default is to ask for times
> in the project _time scale_.
Maybe: In a task dialog:
a) Configurable default unit ( minutes, hours, days.....)
b) Radio buttons to select unit
c) One field to enter value
Alt:
Fields for all units but posibility to enter any number in any field
i.e 31 in hour field, 15 in day field etc.

> 2. How should we specify time-dependencies. That is, answer the
> questions: what activities must be done before this one? What
> activities must be done after. I think of being able to specify
> this within the dialog to add or modify a task and also from a
> menu. Is this sensible?
At least to be possible in pert diagram: click on parent task, click
on child task. (Select areas for type of relation, or possibly a
popup dialog).

> You will see that I have not a well-formed concept of what the GUI
> should look like. If I can develop one, I will try to write some
> code. That, at least, may give someone else the opportunity to do
> better.
I think dialogs are needed for things like adding/editing task,
project etc, but IMHO as much as possible should be possoble to do in
the presentation windows, i.e adding a task should be possible from
the project list where you just get a new default entry and the
possibility to edit each field.
But, I think that starting with dialogs are a good thing, because they
are always needed. Finding more efficient ways can be added later.
So far I have only build on the dialogs Bo provided with the things I
needed for testing wo any thought about design...

Anyway Thomas Zander offered to help with GUI design, so ehhh Thomas,
are you there?

--
Mvh,
Dag Andersen