Fwd: Re: Batch import of images

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Sun Oct 30 22:14:52 GMT 2022

Hi Per,

Am Samstag, 29. Oktober 2022, 16:28:53 CET schrieb Per Funke:
> Perfect!
> Thanks, that's what I needed to make sure!
> My images, scanned from 7000+ b/w paper photos and diafilm, are stored in a
> selfmade database. That project started in 2011 and was finished in 2020.

Ok, so that rules out putting the date into the exif data.

There are two ways to achieve what you want:
1. Create a .kim file
2. Directly write the index.xml file

Regarding 1.: .kim files are the "official" import files for kphotoalbum. You can
export a subset of your database as a .kim file and import it somewhere else
(all within the regular GUI). This way also presents you with the tag data and
lets you map categories/tags upon existing ones.
AFAIK there is no documentation of the .kim file format yet (although it is
relatively simple and very similar to the index.xml file format).

Regarding 2.: If you only do the import once, it may be quicker to directly
write the data into the index.xml file. The file format is fairly
straightforward, and is described here:
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/kphotoalbum/-/blob/master/dev/documentation/
database-layout.md

Of course with alternative 2., kphotoalbum can't really protect you against
errors.

> Is fun to see that the structure in KPA is very similar to my project but
> the UX is much better in KPA. That's the reason for the need to import.

May I ask how your current setup works / how the data is set up?

Cheers,
  Johannes